about 1 year ago
Kim Cecelski's crab cakes mean business -- light and flavorful, they take advantage of lump crab to the fullest. You get a blast of crab in each and every bite with pops of peppers and corn adding freshness and texture. Note that the mixture is fragile. If you like your crab cakes perfectly round and tightly packed, form and chill the crab cakes for a couple hours -- even overnight -- for best results. A dusting of breadcrumbs would also help the cakes stay firmly intact.
This recipe was given to me by my deceased Mother-in-law. I do not know where she found it, but the recipe was called: "Brenda Day's Corn Crab Cakes With Jalapeno Tartar Sauce".
Makes 8 crab cakes
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/3 cup cooked corn kernels
- 1/2 cup diced bell peppers,preferably mixed colors
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 1 teaspoon dry ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dry cayenne (red) pepper
- 3/4 cups fresh bread crumbs from french bread
- 1 pound lump or jumbo lump crabmeat
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
Blend mayonnaise and egg in a large bowl. Mix in corn kernels, bell peppers, red onion, dry mustard, black and red pepper. Stir in bread crumbs and fold in crab meat. Shape mixture into 8 crab cakes, using about 1/4 cup per crab cake.
Melt butter with oil in heavy skillet over medium heat.(I like a flat griddle pan myself). Add crab cakes in batches and cook, 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown. Be careful when turning, it is easier to use 2 spatulas to turn.
Serve with Jalapeno Tartar Sauce
Jalapeno Tartar Sauce:
- 2 cups Mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
- 3/4 teaspoons dry ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh jalapeno chilies, seeded and chopped
Combine mayonnaise, red onion, cilantro, dry mustard and chilies in a food processor or blender. Mix well, cover and refrigerate until needed.
(a half of this recipe is usually enough for our family)
- 382 calories
- 29g total fat
- 5g saturated fat
- 74mg cholesterol
- 794mg sodium
- 15g carbohydrate (1g dietary fiber, 4g sugar)
- 14g protein